Hey, I'm Kennan!
I first started programming on calculators with TI-BASIC back in high school, and I've been addicted ever since. Outside of my studies, I'm an avid cyclist, musician, linux enthusiast. Prior to college, I was an active competitor in the Rubik's Cube speedsolving community. During the years when I was actively competing, my highlights included a North American Record, 90 podium finishes, and a top global rank of of 7th and 12th for the 2x2 and 3x3 Rubik's Cubes, respectively.
I recently completed my BS and MS in Computer Science at Case Western Reserve University under Dr. Soumya Ray, with my thesis "Dynamic Structure Adaptation for Communities of Learning Machines." Now, I work on Software Engineering and Data Science at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory . My current work involves developing automated systems for biological threat classification, full stack software engineering with Angular, Java, and Kotlin, and DevOps using Kubernetes, Ansible, and NixOS.
- Designed and graded course assignments and exams
- Taught supplementary lectures to reinforce course material
- Hosted weekly office hours to answer questions and provide feedback on theoretical written work and programming assignments
- Designed random forest, Bayesian network, and deep learning models for viral and bacterial threat classification using Scikit-Learn, Tensorflow, and Keras
- Implemented a data processing pipeline using dna2vec to perform feature extraction and dimensionality reduction from sequenced DNA
- Contributed to a large scale Angular application to provide an online learing approach to automated document tagging and classification
- Worked in a Kanban development environment to quickly and effectively produce thoroughly documented, tested software for contract sponsors
- Contributed to an Android application written in Java and Kotlin to implement an attachment cache mechanism, reducing form upload time by as much as 75%
- Developed a web application with spring boot backend, Angular frontend, and Selenium unit tests, utilizing an internally designed UI library to deliver Elasticsearch social media analytics
- Developed a job scheduling application from scratch in Angular and designed an algorithm to optimize job scheduling to increase data throughput.
- Designed a Postgres database model to store jobs and their associated data, and built a corresponding REST API to allow application interaction.
- Created an Amazon AWS management server to create and destroy EC2 instances to efficiently allocate funds and expedite job processing.